Friday 4 September 2015

ADVICE NO ONE GIVES YOU IN COLLEGE -PART ONE!!

I've been lucky enough to receive a phone call this morning for a couple of weeks sub work. It was completely out of the blue as I haven't even gone around with my CVs yet! It's always nice knowing where you're going to be in advance, and I'm thrilled to have this time to ease myself back into substitute teaching. I've never worked in this school before and just got the job from word of mouth from another principal. But it did get me thinking about how much of a rush it is to get out the door in the morning when you get a last minute call, so I compiled a list of things I do to get me moving as quickly as possible!


This is advice mainly aimed towards female teachers! It's something I never learned in college. I acknowledge it isn't ground-breaking advice, nor is it detrimental to having a great subbing day, but I feel it is important.

Looking presentable and professional is important in most jobs. It's especially important as a substitute teacher as, unfortunately, we do get judged somewhat on our appearance. I know it's important not to judge a book by it's cover, and all that, but as it is often the case that principals are only meeting you for the first time, all they know about you is what is on your CV. You may be the best teacher in the world, but if you turn up looking like you've just crawled out of bed and rushed out the  door like a crazy person (which is very possibly what you have done!), you're not going to give a good impression.


So here it is, MY ADVICE NO ONE GIVES YOU IN COLLEGE!!:



  1. Always have a bottle of water beside you at night.If possible take a quick sip before you speak on the phone, if you are answering a call. It will help with the groggy voice and prevent you from sounding like the phone call disturbed your Wednesday morning lie in!!
  2. As we come into the Autumn/Winter time, you can bet you'll end up with a cold at some stage over the coming months. It's important to mind yourself, get enough vitamins, eat right etc, etc.. (There's plenty of professional advice out there on how to mind yourself that I would encourage everyone to be aware of!) I found myself last year being quite ill for about a month. I'm (touch wood) someone who doesn't get unwell that often, but I found myself working non-stop for about five weeks. Over the space of two weeks I went from having headaches, to a cold, to a chest infection to eventually losing my voice for a couple of days. It took me a week to recover and then suddenly the exact same thing happened again over the following two weeks. I was working throughout it as I didn't want to call in sick while I was subbing for a sick teacher! As unappetising as it sounds I always kept lozenges beside me at night as well throughout the winter. I would wake up at about 8:00 am, pop one in my mouth and await a phone call. Not nice, but it worked, whenever the phone rang I sounded fresh as a daisy!!
  3. My third bit of advice isn't for everyone but I think you should always shower right before bed time. If you're someone who can have a three minute shower in the morning, that's great! For me, I always wash my hair at night as it's long and thick and would take aaaaages to wash and dry otherwise!
  4. Always plan what you are going to wear the night before. I know it sounds like a waste of time but it saves so much time and effort in the morning knowing exactly what to put on. There's nothing worse than going to your wardrobe and not having anything clean to wear! :/ 
  5. Finally, for the girls, I have perfected my 'FIVE MINUTE FACE' and I would encourage everyone to do the same!! I know there's plenty of girls out there who don't wear make up, and that's great, embrace your natural beauty! But sometimes the occasion calls for it. Turning up to a school looking washed out and dark rings under your eyes doesn't give the best impression.



Here is how I get ready in five minutes:




  • I always have my clothes decided on the night before. If I'm going into a brand new school I have a couple of 'go - to' dresses that I choose from to wear. They're smart and professional, until I see the dress code of the other teachers. (30 Seconds)

  • I have naturally wavy/curly hair, it really doesn't take much effort to get it looking right! As I've stopped using heat on my hair for everyday purposes, I always put it into a plait at                night, so I just undo my plait, spritz in some sea salt spray (I use Lee Stafford Sea Salt               Spray. It doesn't dry out hair too much) and  some dry shampoo (I use Baptiste XXL                   Volume) (One of the best inventions. Ever!) for volume. (30 seconds)

LIFE SAVER!!
Lee Stafford Sea Salt Spray














  • I then move onto my face where I moisturise my face and lips, prime, and apply foundation. (One Minute)

Step One


  • After this I do my eyes. My eye make up is just liquid eyeliner on my top lash line and some mascara. If I have time I'll use under eye concealer which I pat in using my Eco Tools Blender. (One Minute)
Step Two

  • I apply matte powder to set my foundation, contour my cheek bones and forehead and apply a bit of blush on my cheeks. (One and a half minutes)



Step Three

  • Finally I spritz on whatever perfume I'm using at the time and a moisturizing lip balm. (30 Seconds)

Step Four



I then grab my handbag, sub kit and something to eat and I'm out the door. I'd recommend everyone trying a FIVE MINUTE GET READY ROUTINE. At the end of the day, no realistic principal expects you to be there within 10 or 15 minutes of receiving a phone call, but the quicker you arrive the better it looks!

Happy Subbing!

Aisling


2 comments:

  1. Thanks Aisling - there the words of wisdom I needed to hear! Best of luck and hope my phone starts hopping soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Fingers crossed it's a busy year for all of us subs! :)

      Delete