Monday 31 August 2015

SUBBING FREEBIE 'WHILE YOU WERE OUT...' NOTE!!

Hello 2015/2016!!

It's officially the new school year! 

                       
                          via GIPHY


For anyone who hasn't managed to secure a teaching position this year, you are now facing the world of subbing. If this isn't your first year working as a substitute teacher, you're probably feeling a little bit down. I know I do, from time-to-time! I just keep reminding myself of how much I loved last year! I've a years more experience this time around and I'm looking forward to being even more adventurous and creative with my lessons over the next year. Someday I'll have a class of my own and I hope to be a great teacher! Even now I have one teacher that I still remember and speak about with great respect and admiration, and I hope to someday be that teacher for someone else too! How do you become 'great'? Practice!! ! Make sure you get the most out of this year by taking note and inspiration from every class you're in. As I mentioned before I carried a notebook with me EVERYWHERE and wrote down and took photos of displays, lessons, ways of organisation etc.. that I saw in all the classrooms I'd been in. Also if you have free time why not even do some volunteering or get a new skill?!Personally I'm doing a  couple of courses this year which I will write about nearer the time! I feel it's pretty widely accepted that being a substitute teacher isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it's not the worst either! Once you get into the swing of things it becomes quite enjoyable. You're a new face for the children, you can offer them a day of fun-filled learning and hand them back to their teacher at the end of the day plus no long term planning!

Once you've gone from school to school with your C.V (See my post on getting sub work HERE) and signed up for Textasub, it's time to turn up the volume of your phone and wait for it to start ringing! First thing's first, every sub should have a Sub Kit (Read my post on what I carry with me in my Sub Kit HERE).


The classic saying, as annoying as it is to have someone say it to you, it's incredibly enjoyable to say if yourself! - if you  fail to prepare, then prepare to fail. You can never predict how a day is going to go when  working with children, and it's important to keep that in mind, no matter how much work you put in, often things can still go wrong. It's all part and parcel of working with children. Sometimes they're completely unpredictable, in both bad and good ways, which makes the job so interesting and exciting! 

There are certain things you can do to help the day go smoother. I've created a 'While you were out..' note for you to fill in and leave for the class teacher! Just click the link HERE , download and print off a couple of copies to keep in your Sub Kit to inform teachers what you've covered in their absence!


Picture of Note


Happy Subbing!!

Aisling

No comments:

Post a Comment